Saturday, 1 December 2007

Geneen Roth

I've just been flicking through some of the sections I'd underlined in Breaking Free from Emotional Eating. Some of the things Geneen says almost moved me to tears. When I read the book normally, it felt kind and comfortable, but picking out the best statements and reading them without the bumf really shows how amazing that woman is. She really writes from the heart, and it's like she's talking to you the way a mother should.

One part that particularly stuck out for me tonight was this, on how to be after a binge.

" It is crucial that you be KIND to yourself, that you be kinder to yourself now than you have been in a long time. This is when you need yourself the most. Don't leave. Your are most prone to self-condemnation, punishment, deprivation at this time, and if you let yourself fall into that trap, you'll be lost until you can muster the compassion the retreive yourself. Do something wonderful ... You need to let yourself know that you still believe in yourself."

There is so much wisdom in that book. I don't think I could ever repay her for the change she has made to my life.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I've just finished reading this book (thanks to the recommendations of you and some of the other forum ladies!). I found it really 'spoke to me as well - much as the BC one did. I need to go back through it with a pen when I come to re-read. As you say, just reading over the bits that really resonate with you personally can be so helpful.

Kerry xx

Sunita said...

I agree - Geneen Roth is brilliant!!!!!