Sunday, 16 December 2007

Only nine sleeps to go!


Just nine more sleeps til Santa!

We went to fetch our Christmas tree tonight from Sherwood Pines Forest Park. It was fantastic. I really enjoyed choosing our own tree. The children had a giggle too.

We haven't decorated it yet though. I need to buy some more decorations as a lot of the glass ones got smashed, and we had to dash out to the ice hockey game. I hadn't been to one before and tbh I don't think I'm too fussed about going again. The players were really aggressive with eachother, and the commentator had to keep advertising all the sponsors which was really annoying.

But anyway, our tree is fantastic even undecorated. It's a beautiful dark green colour and smells fantastic. They had spruces, pines and firs for sale and we got a fir tree.

I also the most AMAZING night at the Take That concert on Thursday. I was worried it wasn't going to be too good and I'm not a big fan of them but I'd bought the tickets to cheer my mum up. It was absolutely fan-tas-tic! There was lasers, opera singers, ballet dancers, bridges that descended from the ceiling, travelators, fires and firedancing, african drums... It was so fantastic. You could see in their faces that the boys loved it too, they really put their hearts and souls into performing.

I'm making an effort to dress more like a 21 year old in the hope that this will raise my spirits enough to start acting more like one. Obviously I won't ever get back that freedom, but I don't have to be the frumpy mother that I've become. It's hard though, it's definitely a symptom of my struggle with finding an identity. Forming an identity that fits both a mother, a wife and a young woman hasn't been easy and I think I've acted older than I am to prove that I can be a good mother even if I am 21, and also to blend in with other mothers instead of looking different. I don't want to do that anymore though and thankfully, with BC, I've learnt that it isn't slimness that enables me to be young. Being slim would make it easier to dress younger, but I don't have to wait until I'm slim to even try anymore.


I also went out for dinner with Ben to celebrate our second anniversary last night - it's not til Tuesday but getting a babysitter on a weeknight is close to impossible. We went to one of our local pubs, The Chesterfield. I had goats cheese and sundried tomato salad to start, followed by venison and then a chocolate mousse. The starter was fantastic, the venision was very bland which was disappointing, and the chocolate mousse was so rich! I only managed to eat half of the main and pudding. We did finish a bottle of Veuve Cliquot between us though. I've waited four years to try that particular brand and it's now my favourite. Yummity yum!


I'm going to have a busy week this week getting everything ready for Christmas. I'm determined to have everything ready slightly in advance otherwise I end up completely run down and usually ill on Christmas day and boxing day. Not good.


Anyway, I'm off for a slice of cake. Bye xx

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Wow - go you! You sound so positive. There's absolutely no reason you can't look fab and be a great mum too.

Kerry xx

Amy said...

Good for you Nic!! There's no point waiting - ESPECIALLY with dressing young! It's not so easy when you're older! Who cares whether you 'fit in' with those other mums. And who wants to 'fit in' anyway? They're probably already envying you your youth. Make em even more jealous!
Ax