I've had a bit of a revelation with intuitive eating lately.
I had taken IE as to mean I should include "naughty" foods into my life and eat them regularly. But now I see that it isn't that at all. Now that the "naughty" foods are part of my everyday life, they are just everyday things, which means I am equally as satisfied by an orange. If I want chocolate, I have chocolate, but if I want an orange, I don't eat chocolate because its "naughty" and therefore fun, I eat an orange, because that is what I want.
I find this tuning in thing quite hard. Tuning in to my hunger is hard enough because my signal seems really quite weak. I seem to be neutral most of the time and then very suddenly reach ravenous. But the next step for me is tuning in to what the food I want is. My mind is often shouting "chocolate! cookies! cream!" when my body says "I'll just take an orange, thanks". I like eating vegetables, lot of them, and fruit. It sits better in my stomach than chocolate does, so I am gradually starting to naturally gravitate towards them.
I like getting the hang of this. Now I want to learn how to be kind to myself when my natural reaction is to shout "No, greedy pig, if you eat that you'll be a real fatty!". I'm still reading Geneen Roth's "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" and I'm picking up more and more tips.
I'm so glad I chose this path. It's blooming hard work but for once I understand the meaning of delayed gratification :)
Friday, 20 July 2007
Eating what I want...
Posted by
Nicola
at
14:31
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It IS blooming hard work, although it's hard to relate that to people who aren't familiar with either eating disorders or IE.
It sounds like you are beginning to figure things out. It takes time, but you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment