Belly dancing is one of the things I told myself I would do once I was slim. The truth is, I lost all the weight but I still put it off so I can only conclude that it wasn't really about being slim at all. Since joining Beyond Chocolate, I've begun to truly embrace the saying "Time waits for no woman".
I had been sat there thinking that for some reason, slim people have a right to go to these classes, but that I would need some kind of extra approval because I am obese. Yet when I put the situation on it's head, if I was a slim member of the class, would I really think "OMG, that lady is so fat, she has no right to be there, who does she think she is?". And I simply wouldn't. And, if there was someone there who did think that, would I really want to be taking orders from someone so shallow?
Of course I am still scared about starting the class in September, but I think that is because it symbolises so many things for me. It symbolises accepting my size, using something other than food to fulfill my needs, that I need want to make friends, that I am fascinated by bellydancing and that I have a new belief that anyone can do it regardless of size.It puts all of these beliefs in a vulnerable place, but I whilst I am scared I am willing to take the risk.
I read a good book recently called The Road Less Travelled and it is about taking risks means that you grow. Choosing to take the risk of facing up to the pain is a way to grow and develop your self instead of cutting yourself off and sitting in the place you know because you feel it is safer than the risks of learning or doing something new.
I think what it boils down to is that I could choose to hide myself away, but I'm beginning to see that take the leap of joining a bellydancing class by myself is probably less painful than sitting here with no friends and feeling lonely and rejected from society because of my size. I'm still only comitting to one class though!
I'm starting tai-chi in September as well. I like the fact that it isn't just about the body, but also about the mind and soul. I am really looking forward to joining both of these class :O)
Sunday, 15 July 2007
I'm joining a bellydancing class
Posted by
Nicola
at
16:17
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Bellydancing is great fun. Like I said on the BC forum, please tell me what Tai chi is like, I keep meaning to go but am afraid that it'll be too hard.
Hmm, that sounds like I'm having a similar angst to the people I've been bugging about bellydancing. Oops! Might have to find a tai chi class and try it once. ;)
Post a Comment