Sunday, 15 July 2007

More discovery

After reading a post on the Beyond Chocolate forum, I think I might have discovered why it hurts so much to throw away food on my plate when I am full.

I think that is my old self, disappointed or frightened that I have rejected food as a way to cope. Throwing food away, for me, is a reflection that when I am hurting, I now have to feel the hurt instead of stuffing it down, and there is still a part of me that doesn't want to feel that hurt, and by eating the food that I don't need I stay in the place where I don't have to hurt.

I also realised that I don't love junk food like I thought I did. Even biscuits and crisps and chocolate, I only choose the real quality ones now. I get much more satisfaction from a handful of Tyrells crisps or a square of Green & Blacks chocolate than I ever did from cramming down the cheaper alternatives.I never understood that when I was dieting - I never got how one square of good chocolate could satisfy someone more than a whole bar of the cheap stuff. Now I realise that is because I wasn't satisfying my tastebuds or my hunger, I was trying to satisfy a big hole of unfulfillment and it worked for a while when I was eating to distract myself, so I thought it worked it the long term.

For me now, junk food is a way of punishing my body because generally it makes my body feel awful. Unsettled and overfull. Sometimes I might need a whole bar of good quality chocolate, sometimes I might need two or three, but I eat the good stuff and it's a way of rewarding my body for putting up with the abuse I gave it over the last five years. It's a rare occasion that I can comfortably put away a whole bar now though. And comfortably is the key word. If I zone out I can still binge, but being tuned in (which is almost automatic now) means that I can only fulfill my tummy hunger with food and that trying to fulfill some other hunger with food doesn't and won't ever work, not even in the short term.

No comments: